If you want to get rid of back pain then you should sleep on a firm mattress. The type of mattress also affects your sleep. However, the term ‘firmness’ is very subjective; the meaning can be different for different people. Here are some tips that help you find a mattress with the right firmness.
• The initial feeling you get after lying on a mattress is the firmness of the mattress. If you get pushed back to a hard surface, then the mattress is very hard.
• The level of firmness varies depending on various factors. It depends on the person’s preference, age, comfort level, body weight, etc.
• If you are looking for universal support, that is a mattress that’s suitable for most people, then you should choose a mattress of firmness level 5 to 7. It’s called ‘mediuam feel’, mattress.
• But everyone won’t feel comfortable to sleep on a mattress that has a universal support. Some people prefer softer or harder mattress. Mattress having firmness level of 3.5 is considered to be soft. A mattress with 7.5 and above rating is referred as a hard mattress.
• The kind of firmness you need depends on your sleeping position. If you are a side sleeper then you will need a mattress with soft or medium firmness. If you are a stomach sleeper, then mattress with medium firmness level is appropriate. For back sleepers, the soft or moderately firm mattress is necessary.
• Males have less weight in the middle section, so soft mattresses are preferred for them. Females should go for the universal comfort mattress. Also, if your body weight is less then you should buy a soft mattress.
Your sleep depends a lot on the firmness of the mattress. If you find it uncomfortable to sleep on a mattress, you should change your mattress and buy one that has the proper firmness.